Wednesday

July 24, 2004

I had to put in a separate entry for today. In my opinion, this has been a monumental day. No, we didn't receive any long awaited document nor have we been approved for anything or made any travel plans. I was feeling a little blue, needing something to remind me that this long hard wait is for something so precious. I made Rob take me baby shopping. I have to tell you I feel SO much better now. I can't explain the feeling of utter elation. Things feel more concrete and real.

First we started out by going to a near new shop in Fort Collins. I love these little shops. I'll have to remember to go WITHOUT Rob next time so I can shop longer. This place has beautiful clothing and accessories (couple cribs and strollers too). We found an outfit that could not be passed up. Its a "Spa Set" that still has the tag on it and it was only six bucks. It consists of a pink fluffy robe and matching slippers. Its Mary's hot tub outfit and its perfect. Rob found a stuffed fire truck that will be good to take with us to China (light weight) and I found a Raggedy Andy doll (a good one with the embroidered face). Could not pass that up!

From there we went to Big Lots (a discount store in Fort Collins). BOY WAS THAT FUN! I love those places! We found all kinds of things for the nursery and for the baby. We found a table and chair set (the legs look like pencils), a matching set of stacking block shelves and a WHOLE BUNCH of little stuff. Rob had never been in a store like this. I think he enjoyed the experience too (except for the paying part). Then we headed over to Toys R' Us. We had heard they had cribs and strollers and stuff and wanted to see what they had to offer (just window shop a bit). Trust me, we could have blown a couple hours in that place. You know that old commercial about never growing up and always being a Toys R' Us kid? Its still holds true. We were perusing the cribs. They did not have much of a selection, but their prices were real good. Then a sales clerk (who had been following us around for ten minutes) handed us a flyer with a bunch of coupons. They had a great deal that if you bought a crib and a mattress, you saved $25. Well the mattress was only $29, so that was
quite a deal. I didn't even sit there and try to convince Rob we needed to buy a crib! Before I knew it Rob snagged a mattress and a ticket for not just a crib, but for the matching changing table too. I was not one that was about to argue with a man so determined (who also had the checkbook)!!! We are now the proud owners of a Jenny Lind crib and matching changing table.

When we got home, we played musical furniture (making room in the soon to be nursery) and assembled the crib. For something that was "easy to assemble" and required no tools, it still took three of us to figure it out. Oops. I guess we are a little out of practice! Once the crib was put together (and the cat climbed in), I could not help but feel a sense of "Oh my god". We have a crib. A crib for our baby girl. I have to admit, I got a little choked up. This is really happening. Our dream is coming true. How many people in this world get that? Probably not enough.
So now we have a daily reminder that our daughter will be waiting half a world away for us to come and bring her home. I have the feeling she will be born next month. A summer baby. I hope some how our thoughts make it to her so she knows. We are coming for you, my angel.
Just wait and see.....

No comments:

Post a Comment